Tuesday, March 29, 2005

About this blog

Hi.

Well I say hi.... but that is a bit premature. Because right now, at the time of writing, I guess there are no readers. And so I am basically saying "hi" to myself. Which is stupid. But then, not as stupid as some of the things I have done in my life.

So what's this all about, you might be thinking.

My name is Bob. I am a 40-something Brit who works in the computer industry. I work from home, but I work long hours, most days of the week, which leaves me little time to do things most normal people take for granted - like have a weekend. Or a life.

But before you switch off - this is not a blog of self-pity. The work thing I accept, and just get on with. In order to improve my lot, however, we moved lock stock and barrel - myself, my wife Lynne, and my 10 year old black Labrador retriever Benson - to the south of France. We now live in a large mas in the village of Sumene - 50km north of Montpellier in the foothills of the Cevennes. And very nice it is too.

The thinking was that, whilst I might still work ridiculous hours, at least the climate down here would permit me to relax round the pool of an evening with a nice glass of chilled rose wine, or plan for barbecues and slobby weekends without having the shitty British weather ruining my days off.

And from that point of view the move has been pretty successful. And despite the woeful lack of language skills, we actually have more friends and a more active social life here in the wilds of southern France where none of the locals speak a word of English (we were VERY careful to move somewhere where we wouldn't come into contact with a lot of "foreigners (i.e. other English people)) than we did in the previous 3 years in our home near Cambridge.

So vive la France, say I.

No comments: