Saturday, January 10, 2009

Experimentation

When we were looking for artwork for our walls after we finished the renovation, we decided to try and use some of our own in the form of photos we have taken. One idea was for a gallery of very personal - family, friends, dogs and us - pictures given a sepia tint and mounted in a very geometric way in 24 8x8 frames. It worked well on one of the big walls in our living room (you can see it in the photos I took on Christmas day).

To fill smaller places in other rooms we went for more colour. I didn't have time to mess around with Photoshop so I tried a shortcut. I have an application for my iPhone called Camerabag, which gives you a number of pre-defined settings with which to process your pictures. It is designed mainly to add some "oomph" to the rather feeble 2 megapixel pics taken by the iPhone itself, but I imported a bunch of my own pics (taken on a 10 megapixel Canon SLR) into the iPhone, processed them using the "Lolo" setting of Camerabag and them put them back on my Mac for printing.

With just a single click required for each photo, the result is a hugely over-processed look with loss of resolution, increased grain, increased sharpness, incredible colour saturation and high contrast - pretty much the result I was after. However, it does not give you any control over the border or cropping, which did make some of my photos unusable, unfortunately, due to the severe crop to square format.

Printed up to 5x5 and matted into an 8x8 frame and grouped together in similar colour schemes they work quite well on the walls. The computer screen does not do them justice, but see what you think....



BTW - see if you can spot the joke with the photo of the abandoned truck....

No comments: